KADUKU MANGA / INSTANT MANGO PICKLE - KERALA STYLE


I love the simplicity of this recipe.

Spicy, Aromatic and Sinfully Addictive!! Pickles are an integral part of Indian cuisine. The taste, color, preparation, and the spices used, vary from place to place.  The process of making pickles is no more a long and tedious one. In fact, it's absolutely simple. Try this Kerala Style Mango Pickle, an age old recipe passed down from generations, made with a blend of aromatic Indian spices, the heat from the red chili powder, and the aroma of fenugreek and asafetida, together make a tongue tickling combination.

The Keralian vegetarian feast known as Sadya, served on Banana leaf is short off without this Instant Mango pickle. Feel free to customize it according to your taste buds, because it’s all about the balance of heat, spice, sour and salt

Mangoes belong to summer. But in UAE I still find it during winter season, or rather I should say that I mostly find it in stores throughout the year. In winter I am a bit lazy to cook and I always like to have something spicy to satisfy my taste buds. To make my meals spicy and tangy during those lazy days’ I just devour on various relishes. Hence I couldn’t resist my temptation to grab a couple of the mangoes, although the price was a bit high.  I have started to refill my pickle jars with mango and gooseberry pickles.  My husband always loves to have homemade pickles and that’s how I got into frequent making of instant pickles.

These Instant mango pickles are also known as “Kaduku Manga”.  I don’t even know why they call it Kaduku Manga, because “kaduku” means “mustard seeds” and the portion of mustard used in this recipe is very little.  Make sure you have all the ingredients ready before starting the process, else you will burn out on the spices, because this recipe will be ready in 5 minutes.
 


Anyway let’s go to the recipe now

Ingredients:

  • 500 gms. Raw Mango, cut into small cubes
  • 2 inch piece Ginger, chopped
  • 8-10 Garlic pods, chopped
  • 3 green Chilies chopped 
  • 2 sprigs of Curry Leaves
  • 3 tsp Mustard seeds
  • ½ tsp Turmeric powder
  • 4 - 5 tbsp. Kashmiri chilli powder (or regular chilli powder)
  • ¾ tsp Fenugreek powder
  • 3/4  tsp Asafetida (Hing / Kaayam)
  • 1/2 cup Coconut oil (you can use Gingelly oil)
  • 2-3 tbsp. White Vinegar
  • Salt to taste

Procedure :

Wash the mangoes thoroughly as you will be using the skin as well. Cut the mango into small pieces with the skin on.



Add some salt and mix well, allowing it to rest for 15 - 20 minutes. You may allow to rest for more hours or overnight, this is your personal preference. I like my pickles to be crunchy so I avoid resting it for long time as I don’t want to ooze out all its juices.  Retain the oozed juice to use as gravy for the pickle.



When you are ready to make the pickle - heat 2 table spoon of gingelly oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. When they pop up, add sliced garlic, ginger and green chilies and saute till the raw smell disappears.




Low the flame and now add all the dry spices – turmeric powder, fenugreek powder, asafetida powder and curry leaves. Make a little paste with red chili powder by adding some water and pour it into the pan, or you can add chilli powder directly to pan and combine well.


Once the paste combines well with the other spices, add 1/4 cup hot water and the left over juice of mangoes, bring to boil. Simmer till the gravy thickens.


Switch off the flame and add Hing (kaayam) and fenugreek powder and mix well.  Allow it to rest for a minute or two and then add the mango pieces and mix well and finally add vinegar and give a good mix. 


Leave the pickles in the pan for couple of hours, until it is cooled down and then transfer to a clean dried glass jar with tight lid. 


Heat 1-2 table spoon of Gingelly oil and pour it over the pickle. You can refrigerate it to last long. I usually keep out small quantity to be consumed for max of 2 days and the rest I refrigerate because we like our Kaduku Manga to be crunchy.

Enjoy Kaduku Manga with Rice, Curd rice or have it as I love to have with Rice porridge, green lentils and Pappdams – this is one wholesome meal.

So when I make pickle, I would rather choose to make the simplest of the recipes than investing a huge amount of time.

Notes:

- As I have already said, this is my family recipe, and it may not be the way you make it.

- I add a lot of ginger and garlic in pickles, just because we love it and it is really good for your health.

- I have used Kashmiri chilly to get the bright red colour.

Tips:

  • Gingelly oil can be used as substitute for Coconut oil.
  • Vinegar quantity should be adjusted as per the sourness of the mangoes.
  • No water is required. The juice from the salted mangoes are enough.
  • Do not cook after adding Mangoes. Mangoes should retain it’s crunch.
  • Store in air tight containers. Always use dry spoons while serving.
Please do SUBSCRIBE this Blog and like us on www.facebook.com/inishkitchen if you liked this recipe and wish to receive more updates on the upcoming posts.

Comments