UPPILITTA NELLIKKA / GOOSEBERRIES IN BRINE / AAMLA IN BRINE


This recipe is influenced from the condiments of South India - Kerala. “Nellikka” is called in Malayalam and “Uppilitta” means soaked in Salt water.  Nellikka is extremely sour, bitter and astringent. Though it taste awful for a beginner, but Nellika / Gooseberries is good for immunity boosting and is rich in Vitamin C, no matter how you cook them or preserve them. When you soak the gooseberries in salt, the salt negates the bitterness and then you have it whole or make pickles or condiments. When i made Uppilitta Nellikka along with it i also pickled Beetroots, following same method.


Back in school days, on my way back to home, the sight of Kulfi, roasted Peanuts, Chanas, Chiki’s, Berr and then the Mangoes are Gooseberries floating in brine solution made me all the more hungry and drooling. I couldn’t wait to reach home and dig into my lunch and I was a picky eater.


Of all the pickles and relishes “Uppilitta Nellikka” is my husband – Mr.B’s favorite. Usually I am the one to do groceries, but if for any reason Mr.B happens to do the marketing, it goes without saying he will shop for gooseberries though he may forget the rest. As you may recall from my previous recipe post that I am not a great fan of pickles, but this one I don’t mind eating it once in a while when I have extreme sweet cravings. I take a bite of gooseberry and then immediately sip water, and this leaves a sweet aftertaste on my tongue, while refreshing up my mouth and reduces sweet cravings. This is my trick to control on my sweet cravings.  Doesn’t it sound like magic – try out yourself. 
‘Uppilittathu’ means soaked in brine solution or salted water. Basically it’s done to preserve something, but apart from preserving, uppilittathu is a delicacy by itself. You can just eat them, they become just tender and so flavorful when soaked in brine solution and it can be kept for weeks and as wines they get better with time. Usually the berries must rest in brine for 2 to 3 days, to absorb and swell up. Store it in an airtight glass jar and after the resting period, I prefer to store in fridge. 
My Mother-in-law is a smart cook. I was amazed to see that she uses Uppilittathu Nellikka as a base for making variety of condiments / chutneys. When the soaked gooseberries are vanished, I don’t throw of the brine.  Scroll down to read my TIPS on what I do with the left over Brine.
Gooseberries are in season, go ahead and brine them.

Ingredients:

  • 8 to 10 Gooseberries
  • 7 to 8 cloves of Garlic
  • 2 inch Ginger
  • 4 to 5 nos. Birds Eye Chilli
  • 500 ml Water
  • Rock Salt

Procedure:

Use a Glass container to store & preserve the pickled or brined gooseberries. The container should be clean and dry.

Wash the gooseberries well in warm water and pat dry them with kitchen towel. Make few slits / prick on the Gooseberries and rub some salt over the gooseberries and let it rest.  Slits & pricks are done on gooseberries for the salt to absorb fast. I usually prefer to make camouflaged slits along the gooseberries design.


In a big vessel, pour the water along with some more salt and allow it to come to boil.  Switch off the flame and let it cool down to luke warm temperature. 

In the meantime, slit the chilies, half the garlics and slice up the ginger. To maintain the authenticity of this recipe, use Birds eye chilli, commonly known as kanthari to Keralite’s.  Since I do not have it, I have used normal Green chilli.

In the luke warm water, add in the salt rubbed gooseberries and the chopped aromatic flavonoids. Here I have used my spices luxuriously as I wanted the spiciness to dominate. Check for the salt, if required, you can add more. The water should be slightly more salty than normal, only then the salt can enter into the gooseberries. Give a good stir. 

Once this is cooled down, transfer them to a Glass container and leave it in room temperature for 2 to 3 days, thereafter if you wish you can keep it in fridge as I do, because I always want my berries to be crunchy. After 2-3 days, it will start soaking in the salt water and we used to eat it anytime of the day.
Please try this recipe, and don’t forget to send me your feedback. Let me warn you in advance, it is highly addictive!


Notes:

- Keep it refrigerated to retain the crunch.

- Always use dry spoon or fork to take the gooseberries.

- You may add in a spoon of Vinegar, if you like to have it sour.

Tips:
  • You may use the Brine to prepare Morru kachiyathu (typical Kerala style yogurt based curry).
  • You may use it to mix in soda, lemon juice and few mint leaves for a refreshing summer drink.
  • I usually refill the brine jar with new batch of Gooseberries.

Please do SUBSCRIBE this Blog and like us on www.facebook.com/inishkitchen if you liked this recipe and wish to receive more updates on the upcoming posts.

Comments