Spring Onions stir fry in Gramflour / Besanwali Hara Pyaaz ki Sabzi - North India style


Scallions are also known as Spring onions.  Spring onions are very young onions, harvested before the bulb has had a chance to swell. They are much milder to onions.

Look for spring onions with firm, unblemished bulbs and bright green perky leaves.  Avoid those that are slimy or wilting.

As a child I have eaten Hara Pyaaz ki Sabzi prepared by my Sindhi neighbour and I love Sindhi – Punjabi food.  Spring onions known as Hara Pyaaz in Hindi, is a common vegetable in North India, but I have never prepared it.  This was my 1st try on "Besanwali Hara Pyaaz Ki Sabzi", inducing the flavors of chickpea flour.  I personally love all types of greens in whatever form they may be, but I was very doubtful, if my family would like this dish, because they have never eaten spring onions as a side dish, other than garnish. While preparing this dish, the whole house was wafting with wonderful aromas of peanuts and chickpea flour.  In between Mr. B hopped into the kitchen to check what I am preparing, by then the dish was almost ready, I just had to add splash of lemon juice.  Mr. B asked me, what I am preparing; falling short of words and I was hesitant to tell the vegetable name, by then he sniffed and said, “it smells great”.  Hearing those words, I became confident - that he will like it and if he likes then definitely my son will also like it (talk about food experimenting, my son is copycat of Mr. B). 



Going back to the recipe "Besanwali Hara Pyaaz Ki Sabzi", this recipe takes more time in preparing rather than cooking.

Onion Leaves Stir Fry – North India style / Hara Pyaaz Ki Sabzi.

Ingredients:

  • 1 big bunch of Spring Onions
  • 2 ½ tablespoon Chickpea flour
  • ½ teaspoon Asafetida powder
  • ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
  • 1 teaspoon Chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
  • 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
  • 2 teaspoon Coriander seeds, crushed
  • 1 lime juice
  • ¾ cup of roasted Peanuts
  • 2 tablespoon Oil
  • Salt to taste

Procedure:

Wash the leaves thoroughly.  Then trim off the roots and any ragged ends of the leaves and slice both the white and green part separately.



In a pan dry roast the Chickpea flour till it gets aromatic. Take it out and leave it aside.



In the same pan roast the cumin, fennel and coriander seeds. Transfer it to a mortar pestle and roughly crush them and set aside.  



In the same pan roast the peanuts.  Transfer it to a mortar pestle and roughly crush them and set aside. 

Now we are done with the chopping, roasting and crushing process.  Let’s begin with cooking…. In the same pan add oil and when it is hot, add mustard seeds allow it to splutter. Now add the cumin seeds, when it splutters, add the crushed fennel and coriander seeds, finally the asafetida powder and saute them.  





Add the chopped spring onion white part and saute for a minute. When the leaves start to wilt, add in turmeric powder, chilly powder, salt and finally the roasted chickpea flour.  Mix it together for the flour to coat the leaves from all sides.





Add now add in the fresh greens.  



Sprinkle few drops of water, in case the vegetables turn out to be very dry.  Squeeze in juice of a lemon and some crushed peanuts.  



These crushed peanuts will give the perfect bite to this dish. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 5 minutes, in between keep stirring.  Garnish with some more peanuts.

This was a Wow at home and as an accompaniment I made some Laccha Parantha.  The combination is divine.


Please try this recipe, and don’t forget to let me know if you like it through comments.


Do try this recipe, and don’t forget to let me know if you like it through comments. Please like my page and share with your friends using the buttons on the side- that would really encourage me. God Bless!

Please do SUBSCRIBE this Blog and like us on www.facebook.com/inishkitchen if you liked this recipe and wish to receive more updates on the upcoming posts.

Comments