POTATO AND CARROT STEW


If you’re looking for something hearty, comforting and quick to prepare stew, then try this one pot stew, no fuss and easy to prepare. A stew is a combination of solid food ingredients that have been cooked in liquid and served as gravy. 

Generally Stew is prepared with meat or chicken or vegetables or in combinations. We Keralite’s always prefer to make stew with different meat and it has been part of our hearty breakfast during festivities. Stewing is a slow cooking process and includes coconut milk and cream to get thick gravy. 


Though this recipe is inspired by Kerala stew, I have given it a twist and less on calorie count, yet packed with full of flavours, veggies and goodness. This is going to become one of your quick recipes. No coconut milk no cream! Best accompanied with soft Dosa's.


Altering the original recipe was unintentional. We love the origin flavours, but I wanted to make it healthier. This all happened during a weekend when I woke up late and I was running late to prepare hearty breakfast for my family.  Being a working mom, I know that on weekends they always expect something special. The previous night I have prepared my Dosa batter for the next days’ breakfast, as I had planned to prepare Uttappams (fine chopped vegetables spread on dosa and slow cooked with a dollop of clarified butter) along with spicy tangy tomato & coconut chutney. Late for breakfast, so now Plan B in action. I quickly started to prepare Thattu Dosa’s and for a change I decided to make quick potato and carrot stew, without a thought if the combination will match.

While I was serving breakfast, it stricken me, are they the right combination? Right then, kids asked me, “Mummy haven’t you prepared any chutney?” and I replied No time to do that! I was a bit dis-heartened, because I could have prepared chutney as a condiment. But soon I was overwhelmed when kids told me that is a super combination and started to ask for more.  I was overjoyed to hear from Mr. B – “why don’t you make such yummy breakfast everyday?” I was hoping to reserve some stew for lunch, and it could not last beyond breakfast.

So share this recipe with those that say no time to cook. 

What vegetables can I use for Stew? Commonly used vegetables are potatoes, carrots, beans, green-peas and mushrooms, because they stand under pressure and don’t completely disintegrate.

Ingredients: 

  • 3 medium, (peeled and cubed) Potatoes 
  • 2 Carrots (peeled and cubed)
  • 1 medium, (thinly sliced) Onion 
  • 4-5 (slit open lengthwise) green chilies 
  • 11/2 inch piece (finely chopped) Ginger 
  • 2 cloves (finely chopped) Garlic
  • ½ tsp Turmeric powder 
  • 1 tbsp Coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp all purpose flour

For Tempering / Tadka:

  • 1 tsp Mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp Cumin seeds
  • 1 tbsp Onions sliced 
  • ½ Asafetida powder
  • 2 sprig Curry leaves 
  • 1 tbsp Coconut oil

Procedure: 

In a pressure cooker heat 2 tsp of oil, add the thinly sliced onions. chilies, ginger, garlic and sauté until the onions gets transparent.


Now add the cubed potatoes, turmeric powder, carrots, with 1/2 cup of water and salt. Pressure cook for 2 whistles.



In a bowl of 1 cup water, add the all-purpose flour and make a lump free slurry.  Add this slurry to the cooked potatoes and if required, add some more water to adjust the consistency, bring to boil and reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered till it reaches thick and creamy.


For the Tempering/Tadka: heat 1 tbsp oil, splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Now add 1 tbsp onions, curry leaves, and saute until the onion becomes golden brown.


Now pour the tempering over the curry and close with the lid. Let it rest for 5 minutes, this allows the aroma and the flavor to seep in. 


Seriously, that luscious gravy gets me hungry every single time I look at this picture. Did you know that Stews have been made since ancient times. The world's oldest evidence of stew was found in Japan.

This stew can be served along with Dosa, Appams and Rice. 

Do try this recipe and don’t forget to let me know if you like it through comments. Be kind to like my page and share with your friends using the buttons on the side, that would really encourage me. God Bless!

Please do SUBSCRIBE this Blog and like us on www.facebook.com/inishkitchen if you liked this recipe and wish to receive more updates on the upcoming posts

Comments

Post a Comment