SUKHIYAN / SUGIYAN / MOONG BEAN FRITTERS


I love cooking and my recipes are inspired either from my memories or healthy twist or inspired from different recipes. Today we are going to make a recipe that is from my memories and I am adding my heath twists to it.

The greatest challenge to Mothers is to devise simple meals creatively, most enjoyable and low budget, less time consuming, along with health and can easily fit into our meal plan too. Being a mother of 2 teenager I often face this challenge, but we overcome these challenges when it becomes a necessity to feed our family with protein rich diet.

"Sukhiyan", is commonly prepared in all Chaya Kadas as a Nalumani Palaharam means "Sukhiyan" is often served in Tea stalls as a snack. Among the endless list of tea time snacks that are all deep fired in oil, "Sukhiyan" in the most nutritious snack and can be eaten for breakfast as well.


My version of "Sukhiyan" is as tasty as Chaya kada and definitely healthier. When I made it 1st time I was skeptical if my kids would eat. Finally I am so glad that this whole bowl of "Sukhiyan’s" got over and Mr. B who hates "Sukhiyan" also relished it. Once upon a time I too hated but now no more hate…. I just love "Sukhiyan".

"Sukhiyan" or "Sugiyan" is a sweet treat that has nutritious value of green grams sweetened with jaggery and fresh coconut, dipped in batter and deep fried. So let’s hop on to the recipe making.

Ingredients:

for the filling
  • 2 cups Cherupayaru /whole Green Moong
  • 1 cup grated Coconut
  • 1 cup Jaggery
  • 1 tsp Cardamom powder
  • ½ tsp Dry Ginger powder (optional)
  • ¼ tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Ghee
  • Water
for the batter
  • 1.5 cup Wheat flour. Traditionally white flour (Maida) is used 
  • ½  cup Rice flour
  • ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
  • 3/4 cup Water
  • Oil for frying

Procedure:

Preparation of Stuffing :
This step is completely optional: My 1st healthy step is to sprout the beans. Sprouting adds to the nutritional value, hence I have washed the green grams and soaked for about 6 hours.


Wash them and add in the cooker along with 2.5 cups of water or just enough to soak the green grams and a pinch of Salt. Don't add excess water as we do not want to overcook the grams.



Add 1/4 tsp of Salt to enhance the flavor. 

Since I have soaked the grams, I just need to cook upto 1 whistle or till tender. If you are not soaking then let it pressure cook upto 3 whistles. The right texture of this recipe is when the grams begins to break open.

While the grams cook I am grating the jaggery. 


Crushing the cardamom pods to powder.

Grating the fresh Coconut.

After the whistle, allow the pressure cooker to release the pressure and if there is excess water, cook uncovered on high flame to evaporate excess water. 


Once the water is evaporated, reduce the flame and add the grated jaggery and sauté until the jaggery melts down. 


To this add coconut, cardamom, ginger powder with a pinch of salt and combine well.  


Add 1/2 tsp of ghee to enable easy binding and making balls.


Check your flavors, please feel free to add in jaggery as per your taste buds. Once the mixture is dry, switch off the flame and allow it to cool down.


Preparation of Batter:
In the mean time I am preparing the batter to hold the stuffing. For this recipe I am using wheat flour instead of Maida and this is my 2nd healthy step. Take a large bowl, add in the wheat flour, rice flour, pinch of salt, turmeric powder and add water little by little to form a thick lump free batter. Rice flour adds crispiness.






Assembling:
Now the grams have cooled down and it is time to roll them into small tennis ball size.



Before that, let me share with you my 3rd healthy step in comparison to the traditional method.

Healthy method:
Heat an Appam pan, drop in 1 tsp of oil into each mold. Dip the gram balls into the batter, coat them well and either by hand or fork or spoon place them into each mold and allow it to roast on low - medium flame. 



Once the bottom is golden brown colour turn them over and roast / cook on the other side. 



Traditional method:
Heat oil in a wok for deep frying. Though most of the Kerala food is cooked in coconut oil, this recipe strictly does not call for coconut oil. Once the oil is hot enough, dip the balls into the batter, coat them well and deep fry on low medium flame, turning each side until golden colour, thereafter, drain on paper towel.



I tried both the ways and it just taste the same, except the dripping oil. Serve these  "Sukhiyan" hot or warm, both the ways it’s amazing snack. This recipes serves 12- 14 Sukhiyan.

NOTES:

1.    If the grams are not cooked well then add water as required and cook on low flame without covering.

2.    The number of pressure cooker whistle might vary depending on cooker.

3.    Adding turmeric powder is optional, as it adds a light yellow color to the batter.

Drop in your feedbacks and I will be pleased to respond them. Be kind to like my page and share the recipes with your friends and family using the buttons on the side, that would really encourage me. God Bless!

Do SUBSCRIBE this Blog and like us on www.facebook.com/inishkitchen if you liked this recipe and wish to receive more updates on the upcoming posts.

Comments