ADAI (Tamil style)

“Adai” is a protein loaded and rich in iron breakfast from South of India. “Adai” is made of lentils and rice, hence it is stomach filling, nutritious and healthier than Dosa’s. To add in an extra dose of Iron, you may add a handful of chopped drumstick leaves or spinach leaves.

This recipe is also perfect for those days when you forget to soak the grains for preparing Dosa. “Adai” is very simple to prepare and does not require perfect measurement or a particular grain. “Adai” is usually served with "Avial" and accompanied with Chutney, a small piece of jaggery along with homemade butter.


This weekend we visited Sangeetha Restaurant, Abu Dhabi branch. The name must be familiar to many of you. One of the famous south Indian restaurants having branches across Singapore, Malaysia and UAE. I remember 2 decades back, I had visited Sangeetha Restaurant in Singapore. It was an unforgettable experience, making our way through the narrow street of Little India in Singapore. It was on a weekend and I guess the whole of the South Indian bachelors were out on a food treat. The area was jam packed and all the Indian restaurants were full, finally we reached this particular restaurant, serving South Indian breakfast recipes for dinner. Oh boy… no way. I asked my Dad, are we going to eat breakfast dishes for dinner? Hurriedly I glanced through the menu board that listed variety of “Idili’s and Dosa’s”. Not knowing what to order, we settled down with the most common dishes - Vada Sambar and Masala Dosa. That was the 1st time I ever had “Masala Dosai” for dinner and that flavors still lingers in my mouth. Those were the days…

Back to reality now. This time I decided to try out something new, something different that I have never tasted before. Menu is one “Book” that I love to read. So I read each dish by dish and fantasize how the dish would look and shameless peeping onto the surrounding tables to have a glance of what they are eating.  Leisurely reading through the menu I came across “Adai Avial”. I know “Avial” is a dish from Kerala. But wonder what “Adai” is and how will "Avial" compliment?

While I treat the menu like the Holy Grail, Mr. B completely ignores the menu and doesn’t even look at it. I knew he would definitely order one of the Masala Dosa varieties. How boring…. Both my kids went through the menu and came up with their dish names. I am still in the thinking zone – what to order. The Waiter waiting to take my order and I said “One plate Adai Avial” and I could see all the eyes staring at me. The Waiter left our table. Do you know what you have ordered? I said it’s something like a Dosa and that will be served with mixed veg (Avial) so this means it’s healthy. My kids raised up their hands and said to me, Ma please… its weekend, don’t think of health today and please spare us today from your food trial. I grinned and waited for my masterpiece to arrive and here it does.

My pride fell off and my face fell. All I got was a thick pancake, something like a millet Dosa served with Avial, butter and jaggery. Disastrous choice this time and habitually most of the time. The food looked less glamorous than the other dishes served and I complained only “One Adai”? As I took my 1st bite, I was happy with the flavors coming from the pulses and the mild spice aromas. By the time I completed one Adai, I realized how filling it is.

That moment I decided, “Adai” will soon be in my breakfast series. Truly, this is such a wholesome simple meal and pat my back.


Please scroll through my blog 👉https://inishkitchen.blogspot.com

If you'd like more delicious recipes delivered straight to your inbox, click on 👉Subscribe and you have the privilege to view the recipes first. You can also follow me on 👉Instagram👉Facebook👉Youtube, for more recipe inspiration.  

Here are some delicious South Indian breakfast recipe ideas to get you started.






So let’s head to the recipe. It takes less than 15 minutes (excluding soaking time) and perfect for morning breakfast and tiffin.

If any of you have tried a different variation of this recipe, comment with a link below so we all can try them out!

Check out the making VIDEO👇

Prep Time : 12 - 15 minutes (excluding soaking time)
Cook Time : Less than 5 mins per Adai
Yields:  7 - 8 Adai’s

Ingredients: 

  • Raw rice – 1/2 cup
  • Tur dal – 1/4 cup
  • Bengal gram/channa dal – 1/4 cup
  • Urad dal – ¼ cup
  • Red lentils – ¼ cup 
  • Green grams – ¼ cup
  • Any other lentils / dals 

Ingredients to add in the batter:

  • 1 tbsp Fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
  • 1 tsp Coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
  • 1 – 2 Onion finely chopped
  • 2 sprig Curry leaves
  • 3 Green chilies  
  • Coriander leaves
  • Ginger -1 small bit
  • Asafoetida/ Hing -1/4 tsp
  • Salt as required  
  • Carrot, handful grated (optional)
  • Drumstick leaves, handful chopped (optional)
Ghee for cooking Adai

Procedure: 

Usually I collect the left over pulses in another container and keep on adding any balance. What a better way to use the pulses instead of storing them with the new batch.


There is no need for specific measurement in this recipe. Whatever pulses you have, just soak and grind it. 


Wash the rice and dal thoroughly and soak soak it for 4 - 5 hours. If you are running short of time, soak it in warm water.


Drain and grind them coarsely. Add little water to grind.


The batter should not be too thin. It should be thicker than the Dosa batter. The batter can directly be used for making “Adai” without fermenting it.

Crush the fennel seeds and add into the batter. 


Add finely chopped onions, curry leaves, green chilies, coriander leaves, ginger, hing and salt to taste. My kids don’t like coriander seeds hence I have avoided it. You may add in drumstick leaves or spinach leaves to the batter. Mix well until all combined. “Adai” batter is now ready.




Heat a griddle or a non-stick tawa and pour a ladle of batter in the center and with the ladle spread the batter in circular motion. 


You can make a thin or thick Dosa as per your likings. Drizzle a tsp of ghee around the “Adai”. Make tiny holes with the spatula or ladle. Cover and let it cook.


Once cooked golden brown, flip it over to the other side and drizzle another tsp of ghee into the holes and allow it to further cook. The “Adai” is soft and crispy at the same time and a little thicker than the usual Dosa.  After both sides are cooked well, remove from tawa. Repeat the same with the rest of the batter.

Serve it hot with Tomato chutney or white ghee and jaggery.


Tips: The excess batter can be stored in the fridge for another 1 to 2 days.

Do try this recipe and don’t forget to let me know if you like it through comments. Be kind to like my page and share with your friends using the buttons on the side, that would really encourage me. God Bless!

Please do SUBSCRIBE this Blog and like us on www.facebook.com/inishkitchen if you liked this recipe and wish to receive more updates on the upcoming posts 

Comments

  1. This is the best post ever! Sajway is the best Arabic restaurant in Abu Dhabi that serves delicious food to its customers.
    Best Arabic Restaurant in Abu Dhabi | أفضل مطعم عربي في أبو ظبي

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment